Our History

 
 The S.E. Young & Son Dry Goods Store at First and Broadalbin, c. 1895.

The S.E. Young & Son Dry Goods Store at First and Broadalbin, c. 1895.

The current Albany Regional Museum Building was constructed in 1887 and housed the S.E. Young Company at the corner of 1st and Broadalbin Streets in Albany. In 1912, the building was moved to it’s current location at 2nd and Lyon, the area formerly known as “Chinatown.”

The building was purchased in 1999 by the Albany Regional Museum thanks to a generous donation from Bill & Doris Scharpf.

The Albany Regional Museum was established in 1980 and was located in the basement of the Carnegie Library before moving to it’s current location.

 Albany Regional Museum 2013

Albany Regional Museum 2013

Attendees of a slide show in 1978 fostered the idea of an Albany museum. They were at the old Armory Building viewing the program, “Albany, A One Horse Town” being shown in the Linn County meeting room. A discussion after the show bemoaned the increasing loss of Albany area history. The question was how it might be gathered and preserved. Those most concerned signed a sheet of paper to indicate willingness to meet and look for ways to meet those ends. Roz Clark (Keeney) acted as the initiator by calling the signees to a meeting.

 Reception Desk

Reception Desk

After more than a year of planning, on December 1, 1980 Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws for the Albany Regional Museum were completed by the Steering Committee and submitted to the State of Oregon for approval. The incorporators and temporary board members listed on the papers were Gerald Brenneman, lead member, Bonnie Orr, Bob Potts, Jerry Wilken, and Kristen Schuttpelz. That same month an informational meeting was held at the Wilken’s home to gather together persons who could be prospective board members. The new by-laws called for twelve.

The State of Oregon incorporation document officially recognizing the Museum’s establishment and its nonprofit status was dated December 18, 1980. A meeting was held January 6, 1981 at the Brenneman home to elect Museum officers. The gathering resulted in the election of Bonnie Orr, chairman, Rodney Tripp, treasurer, and Gerald Brenneman, secretary.

Completion of the board of directors’ roster came on February 16, 1981, at the Home Federal Savings & Loan boardroom. Nine additional board members were elected: Meredith Wiley, vice chairman, and board members Art Crossley, Platt Davis, Maria Delapoer, Connie Petty, Kristen Schuttpelz, Jerry Wilken, Barbara Wilson, and Marty Rosenson.