The Deluxe Shoe Shine Parlor was located on First Avenue next to
the Venetian Theater. It was owned and operated by Rufus and
Bessie Hale. The Hales came to Albany in 1931 and were domestic
employees until opening their business in 1939. Soldiers from
Camp Adair were good customers during World War II. Rufus died
in 1970, but Bessie continued operating the business until her
death in 1991.
The museum displays a shoe shine chair and other equipment as
well as photos and newspaper articles about the Hales.